As I look back on my life it seems obvious that I should have always been a teacher. I was on that track as a graduate student in Philosophy. What do you do with a degree in Philosophy? You teach…Philosophy!
Unfortunately for me, I woke up one day in 1975 and said to myself, “what could I do with a degree in Philosophy? Teach? Do I want to do that? I don’t think so.”
It seems simple enough until you realize, with a lifetime of experience, that you should have been a teacher.
I justify this decision by saying that I was a teacher for the last 22 years. I built my business by doing workshops at companies and adult education classes. I always liked getting up in front of people, even though I am private with most people.
As I have been making this transition from Financial Planner to Middle School Teacher I have begun to reflect on what I have to contribute.
- I love people. I am genuinely interested in who you are.
- I quickly adapt to my circumstances. I can assess and adjust to let people know that I am with them.
- I know that every person is unique, important and worthy. Everyone wants to excel at something.
- I know that people learn in different ways. Not everyone will understand.
- I know that it is more important to learn how to learn than learn to remember. Know that you can acquire any skill, learn any language, and achieve any goal if you know how to learn.
- I know that if I can reach just one child every year that I will have fulfilled on my destiny.
Like most of you, I want to make a difference. We all want to leave some kind of mark, some legacy, even if it is just with our family. We want to be remembered, as a way to keep ourselves alive a little longer.
If you’ve raised children you have already left a legacy. How will your children remember you? How will they relate to you? Whatever it is, you have left your imprint on them.
If you have built a business you have already left a legacy. How will the employees remember you? How will your customers remember you? How will your community remember you?
If you have worked in any profession that requires human contact you have left a legacy. How will you be remembered?
The larger personal goal, yet to be realized, is to know that you have made a difference, that you have made an impression, that you got through to someone, that you connect to people in a way that makes life better for you and them.
With your help I can accomplish this goal. I really would like your assistance in my endeavor by introducing me to any teachers or principals that you know in the Raleigh/Durham area. Any advice you have that you think would help me, please email me so we can set up a time to talk.
I know that I am needed and wanted out there and I look forward to stepping out.